Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Chorus

The good news is that I am in school! Hooooooray! I am so grateful to be in school and have my little job and things to keep me somewhat busy while I deal with the health category.

I got the ok to sing in a choir (excuse me, chorus) for the semester as a substitute for my final chamber music credit and then hopefully in the winter I will be able to play the flute so I can take lessons, give my last recital, and finish this lovely degree. Big Exhale. So today was my first day in choir. My choir resume: occasionally sing in our church choir and 1 month in a required choir in Paris.... aka not much. I'm in a small choir (probably about 40 people) comprised of voice majors only, we have 3 concerts this semester, all of the music we're working on right now is either in German or Latin, and did I mention I have like zero choir experience? Today was a special day. I walked in to choir and the manager asked me what part I sang and when I told her I didn't know (I mean I like to sing alto, but I don't know if I am a true alto) she gave me the look of "who. are. you?!" We worked it out, they found me a chair and I introduced myself to the people to my left and right and memorized their names because I know I will be asking them for help/forgiveness the remainder of the semester. Poor things.

Anyway, so we're singing a Beethoven Oratorio that has the really popular Beethoven Hallelujah chorus thing that if you all heard you would know. When I heard the intro I thought, "I can totally do this. I totally know this song!" And then I saw that we are singing it in German. Needless to say, it was a serious tongue twister for me trying to guess the German pronunciation, listen to how my neighbor was singing, and keep up. Then we sang a mass by Haydn in Latin which was also special and really fun when the conductor took the Gloria at a really fast clip. Watermelon Watermelon Watermelon..... Next time we're working on something by Mozart. Let's just say, my German will be a lot better by November 21st. Oh, and I have to sing at Symphony Hall for the big choir/orchestra concert. This will be a uniquely painful experience for me. Again, I'm really grateful for the experience, but I think my pride is going to take yet another hit this semester. Probably much needed.

I have also been seeing the chiropractor quite a bit this past week. Hopefully it works. My hands hurt right now. :)

That is all.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, I am offended you said nothing about the family Sunday choir on your resume. Second of all, duh can you say...lip sync!!!!! Come on Ann, I thought I raised you to be more creative than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, this is awesome. I feel for you but at least you have a great voice. What part are you singing now? Alto?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a superb musician, and I'm sure you're going to figure out the choir thing in no time!!

    I would LOVE some details on the health struggles, though. What exactly is going on? You could always email me... :-) thecutchinsATgmailDOTcom

    LOVE YOU!! And hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister sister sister. You are funny. But German is good. You could sound big and tough! I support learning German. And why the heck are you smiley about your hand hurting? Does that mean it's getting better or that your sense of humor has taken a sardonic turn?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, have you ever heard me sing? Haha.. probably not. I sing alto.
    Marianne, I will work on that right now.
    Judy, not getting better.
    Dad, how could I forget?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie! I mourn for your struggles but way to go on enduring it well. I know zip about Latin but German is awesome-easy to read. This one rule should help you, when "i" and "e" are together look at the second letter and say the long sound of that letter. So, "ie" = eeee, "ei" = eye. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete